Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Garden Update

The garden is looking a little ragged these days- between the heat and the trampling from the fawns I'm not sure how much we will harvest in the coming weeks. There is also a raccoon that seems partial to green beans...How do I know you ask? because last night two spooky eyes peered at me from the top of the bean tee-pee, before it toppled over. The birds have been swooping into the beans too, to attack the Japanese beetles that are eating the leaves. NOTHING is prettier than a baby cardinal swooping into attack the greenery.

A few lessons I have learned from this garden: STAKE STAKE STAKE- I let the tomatoes go all wild again this year and though they are producing like crazy (though nothing is getting red yet..) they are all over the deer are trampling them. Next year I need to cage the tomatoes.

PLANT LESS- we have been pulling cukes off the vines like it is going out of style. So far I have pickled 5 quarts, 2 pints and there is at least another 3 qts in brine. Not to mention the 9 that are still in the crisper waiting for me to figure out how to use them, and the 15 that I have given away to neighbors....We've been eating salads like crazy, which is losing it's appeal quickly let me tell you. Next year I think less greens more things that will get through the winter- buttenuts, broccoli, cauliflower are all on the list as well as more herbs.

WEED MORE- when it rained I never weeded fully. I am terrified of cleaning out the garden come fall, it is going to be a lot of work on top of the tons of work the rest of the beds around the house are going to need. I think we are going to tarp down the beds and start from scratch though, just kill everything friend or foe and start over.

I am still loving the mini farm but I have to be more prudent with the planting next year, the biggest thing is that I want to put in a narrow raised bed along the property line for herbs since it is close to the kitchen door.




No comments: