Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Works in Progress

Today is Ash Wednesday. The beginning of Lent, which is supposed to be full of sacrifices and good works. I am uninspired this year. In the past I used Lent as like a second New Year's resolution time, this year I just don't know. Our lives have become so sparse with goodies that I think denying myself might lead to disaster. I don't drink with any regularity for it to make sense anymore to give that up, giving up the one cookie/slice of cake I get to have may make weight loss a little easier but there are days when the thought of that cookie is the only thing that keeps me on the treadmill.... I admit I am a work in progress. I am daily letting go of the little things that make me nuts, and embracing the things that make me a better person.

For Lent I thought about using knitting to do some good deeds. I am playing with the idea of knitting 40 sets of hats and booties (one for every day of Lent) I just don't know where to send them yet. I think I will just start knitting and see where it leads...

In other works in progress notes I have been convinced that I need to start spinning. A friend lent me a drop spindle and some fiber. It is relaxing and I can see how doing it on a large wheel would be even more so. Plus I think that it would be cheaper then buying yarn, though wheels are super pricey I have heard.....

On the needles right now: This lovely purple fiber that is spinning up somewhere between bulky weight and sport weight depending on which piece you look at...I never said I was good at this!
And the Seascape Stole which I am making out of a wonderful sport weight Alpaca from Times Remembered (out of Slate Hill NY). This is my first lace project and the pattern is written line by line so it is proving easier then I thought.

I am thinking about knitting a dress. The pattern is the Cross Front Tunic which I think could be easily lengthened to a dress. I just need to figure out a yarn that won't bankrupt us....

1 comment:

Mary said...

I've always wanted to try spinning, but haven't done it yet. There's a yarn shop in town that offers lessons and/or use of their spinning wheel, too, so I really don't have a good excuse not to. haha