Saturday, January 22, 2011

Farmer's Market Saturday

We went to the Cold Spring Farmer's Market today. I think this is going to be our regular saturday market as it has my favorites from the Beacon Market as well as a rotating schedule of meats. I knew that we had to buy meat this week so I went to the market anticipating spending a small fortune, and having to be creative about our menu this week. I took $50 bucks with me and whatever singles were in my wallet. We spend $55.50.

We bought:

1 chicken
1 lb ground beef
1.5 lbs of flank steak
1.5 lbs potatoes
1 loaf of bread
1 giant cookie (Joe was with me so this was his treat)
(we still have a few carrots and a rutabaga in the pantry from last week)

The meat ate over 40 bucks which is insane. I don't know how people afford organic, grassfed, free range meat every week from their grocery store. We did not buy all that much and it used up 90% of our budget. The bread used up most of the rest. There are two bread options at this market; Bread Alone and All you Knead. Bread Alone is slightly cheaper but is a larger operation (though still uses lots of local stuff), while All You Knead is based out of Beacon, and uses mostly local ingredients- including NYS grains; I feel good about supporting both but the fact that All You Knead is based in my community they win. Plus the bread is awesome....
but anyway what will we eat this week? here's an idea, I am going to leave off lunch because 99% of the time it is pb&j or leftovers. Breakfast is usually hardboiled eggs, oatmeal, cereal or toast with jam

saturday: shepherd's pie using the lamb stew meat from last week

sunday: the kids will be at grandma's and I will be in the city so who knows

Monday: flank steak stuffed with basic bread stuffing (though if my brother wants to share the rice/bacon stuffing from oh so long ago thanksgiving at Liz's house that is what i will use)

Tuesday: leftovers

Wednesday: roast chicken with roasted carrots and potatoes (i will make stock/soup on thursday)

Thursday: butternut/black bean soup with biscuits

Friday: leftovers

Saturday: most likely lamb spring rolls from the market and salad.

No comments: