Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Year

It's 2010. I thought we would be living like the Jetsons by now. Where is my flying car? Robot maid? Automatic clothes putter on-er? I will be 30 this year. I remember when that seemed ancient to me and now here I sit on the cusp of "real adulthood." I need this year to be a turning point for myself. I need to be more than just mom, I need a reason outside of my kids to get out of bed in the morning. I need to stave off this mental muck that is eating me from the inside out. To that end I've declared 2010 a few things.

First it is the YEAR OF THE HOUSE.
This is the year where Hubby and I find a place of our own. We might not be able to actually buy something this year, but we can at least figure out the finances and start the process.

Second it is the YEAR OF THE JOB.
In order to afford a house, chances are I am going to have to go back to work. I am o.k. with this under a few conditions. The first is that if the job will only be to pay for childcare, then there is no point in going back. The second is if the job is an assistant position I'm not going to take it. Basically the job needs to be worth it, both financially and spiritually for me.

Third it is the YEAR OF THE BLOG.
I admit it; I watched Julie/Julia. It made me want to do something to reclaim myself. Something that would challenge me to be more than just mom, something that in some small way might change the way I look at the world around me. So after watching a show called The 100 Mile Diet, I've decided to change the way we eat for one year. We are going to challenge ourselves to eat from within 100 miles of Brooklyn, and I am going to blog the experiment. It is less of an experiment in food consumption and more of an experiment in finances. I really want to know if eating locally will be cheaper than eating from the grocery stores. We start the day I turn 30. That gives us about 4 months to get all our rules set, and to prepare ourselves mentally for a lack of some of our favorites.

and lastly is the YEAR OF THE KNITTING.
I've been knitting small things lately. I am working on 3 blankies, a wedding present and a scarf for my husband for st. patrick's day. All of these things have deadlines that are coming soon. After they are done I want to tackle something for myself. Something spectacular. Something that will make the ladies at knitting group learn my name, because they will need to help me with the project. And then a helmut liner for my brother's next deployment.


So that's my 4 prong approach to this year. Let's see if it works.

3 comments:

InventingLiz said...

Holy crap, you bowled me over with "I'll be 30 this year." How the heck did that happen?

And everything else is pretty impressive too...

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your year. Sounds like a lot you're trying to make happen. re: local foods, I've really enjoyed getting local foods from a CSA - it's not too expensive, if you can afford to pay for 6 months up front.

good luck with everything,
Erin

Mary said...

That's an impressive list of goals--kudos on kicking-starting stuff! And it was lovely to check your blog & find new stuff, too. :-)